History and Information
While the All-American Model UN team started as single delegation attending a single conference during the summer months, our reputation has led to a number of invitations to other incredible conferences around the world. We brought our first team in 2016, winning Best Small Delegation. This spring, we’re assembling an even stronger team to defend our team award. HACIA is a conference solely dedicated to simulating bodies specifically related to Latin America. HACIA rotates its location every year and we are excited by their choice to host HACIA 2017 in the beautiful city of Panama City, Panama.
All of the travel teams are trained by a team of expert mentors, led by the Program Director, Frank Pobutkiewicz, an internationally known Model UN debate coach. One of the best aspects of being part of the Model UN community is the relationships built between our students and mentors. This is not just a one-stop travel program; we encourage our students to continue to use us as resources.
Harvard HACIA Democracy Conference
Dates: March 8-12, 2017
Location: Sheraton Grand Hotel, Panama City, Panama
Number of Students: 500+HACIA Democracy is the oldest, largest, and most prestigious simulation of the Organization of the American States. Every year since 1995, around 500 high school students from across the Americas come together for a four-day summit to discuss the most pressing social issues in Latin America. The conference offers a bilingual experience with 6 committees in Spanish and 8 in English. HACIA is headquartered at Harvard University and count on a team of about 30 Harvard students each year.
Flexible Departure DayStudent may elect to return to the United States on Sunday, March 12th or on Monday, March 13th. There is no extra cost associated with the additional day.
Application and Qualifications
Application Deadline: January 22, 2017Students applying to the United America Honor Delegation should have a consistent performance of excellence, not just in Model United Nations but also academically. We will assess each candidate on an individual basis and not against one another. Students should use their application to illustrate their strengths and progress throughout high school.
- Students must have at least of one year of competitive Model United Nations experience and participated in at least two conferences.
- The best candidates will have placed (been awarded a Best Delegate, Outstanding Delegate, or Honorable Mention) in a high percentage of conferences attended.
- Experience hosting a conference or chairing a Model UN committee looked favorably upon, but not required.
- Exemplary understanding of parliamentary procedure including: moderated debate, motions and points, resolution writing, and voting procedure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thoroughly research advanced matters of international affairs, both in the present and past.
- Leadership experience either in Model United Nations or comparable co-curricular activities.
|March 8||Panama City, Panama||Students should arrive in Panama City before 3PM|
|Mar 9-12||Panama City, Panama||HACIA Conference & Touring|
|Mar 13||Optional Extra Day||Additional Excursions|
Information Package Request
Program Costs and Scholarships
|Airfare Expense||Varies on location|
|Payment Details & Options||
|Scholarships and Aid||